Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Getting Ready for the Opener

Trout Season is practically upon us and I'm looking forward to trying out some new gear. I snapped my 5wt rod in a boat -dock incident at the end of the season and I picked up a 5wt Orvis Clearwater II for a great price. I tried it out for the closing weekend and it was a lot of rod for the money. For Christmas I received a Ross Worldwide Essence FW 3wt from the father-in-law. Now that should be a laugh. I've matched it up with a new Orvis BBS III and I can't wait to give it a shot. This video shows a 3wt catching a big old carp, though I'm planning on using it for trout and crappies:




Speaking of carp.... This blog, Carp on the Fly has me dreaming of hooking a few carp. Last year I hooked a smallish carp by accident and it ran like crazy. I'm going to put a lot more effort into carp fishing on both The Grand & The Conestogo this summer.

This year I will try to be more faithful in providing pictures and commentary on my efforts. Last year I hardly had a flick. Work was simply too busy. I'm not going to make that mistake again. I will be heading North for the opening of Pickerel season. Historically, the opening weekend has produced plenty of fish.I'm also planning a trip to Newfoundland for a few flicks on The Gander River and the Humber River.

Hopefully it will all work out.

No comments: